Wednesday, September 28, 2011

TUTORIAL - FALL WREATH

It is fall.

Not that anyone around here in Southern California is planning on bringing out the mittens any time soon, but we can still be somewhat festive.

I like door wreaths and find them an easy and inexpensive way to spruce up the entrance a bit.

Being on a budget, I could not justify going out to buy any decor, so I went through my excessive assortment of fabrics and ribbons to look whether I had some things at home that may make for a nice fall wreath.

Here is what I found:

  • wire remnants
  • dried red corn from our harvest
  • about 2 yards of orange burlap
  • a spool of orange ribbon
  • a little bit of green and white checkered ribbon

Alright, let's get creative.

I twisted the burlap into a long 'snake'.

I had used burlap to make wreaths in the past and found it great for making a basis for a wreath since the material is pretty sturdy.

It comes in a variety of colors and is rather inexpensive, if you end up having to purchase it; around $3 per yard.




To make a wreath out of this burlap 'snake', I wrapped the ends around the body of the snake and then poked the ends into some 'skin' folds. Yeah, it's all nip and tuck here in California ;-).

Now you have a basis that you decorate anyway you want to.

Using wire is great because it adds more structure and you can use it to tie all sorts of decorative items to the wreath.


"Nature never says one thing and wisdom another." Decimus Junius Juvenalis

No comments:

Post a Comment