Monday, September 26, 2011

Growing Garlic - The Stinking Rose

Since my taste buds are heavily influenced by a fusion of Thai, French and my Mama's Cuisine, cooking without garlic is next to impossible for me.

After a bit of research, I found out that you can buy some beautiful heirloom seeds from Underground Gardens or you simple take a bulb from an organic farmer or even grab some organic garlic at your health store and divide up the cloves. For my test run, I decided to go the inexpensive route. Once, I am a bit more familiar with growing garlic, I may give these beautiful heirlooms a try.

Anywho, after dividing them up, I put them into the soil with an about 6 inch spacing, root down, sprinkled some wormi-compost around, watered it and now I am waiting to see what happens.

Apparently fall, mid October is the best time to plant, although some French and even German growers claim, you need to put them in on the shortest day of the year.

Once you see the green shoots, you are supposed to mulch it. They may or may not die back in winter.

In spring, loosen up the mulch to look for shoots and feed them with seaweed. Obviously they need to be weeded.

It takes about 8 months for garlic to be ready to harvest, so it is not a crop for impatient people.

Need more tips on how to grow it?

http://www.thedailygreen.com/green-homes/blogs/organic-gardening/growing-garlic-460709


"Nature never says one thing and wisdom another." Decimus Junius Juvenalis

No comments:

Post a Comment