Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Eggplant Heaven - My Mama's Ratatouille Recipe

OK, I admit it, I cheated.... I tried to seed eggplants but nothing would sprout. And I told EVERYONE about it. So, I was overjoyed, when my Master Gardener teacher Florence gave me an heirloom eggplant. Of course, a few days later, someone else gave me two other heirloom variety eggplants. Even better!!! With my zucchini and tomatoe abundance, I was planning on eating Ratatouille for months, which is one of my favourite peasant dishes.

We planted these three guys and when the first little purple flowers showed up, we danced around the plants. And then, the fruit started setting in. OMG!

And guess, what happened next? The long forgotten seeds that I had sown on my kitchen seed-starter shelf sprouted. In the end of July, about a dozen new baby eggplants (all heirloom) showed up. Well, I guess, we will truely have Ratatouille for a while...


Here is my MAMA's recipe for Ratatouille (cannot wait!):

In a large crock pot, heat olice oil.

Chop a red onion (white is ok too, but is only real french with a red onion!) and one or two garlic gloves, toss in pot.

Add 4 large tomatoes (cut in half with skin on), 2 medium size zucchinis (little cubes), 1 large eggplant (little cubes), 1 bell pepper (little cubes).

Pepper, Salt, Bay leave.

Simmer for a loong while.

Fetch the tomatoe skins out and serve.


"Nature never says one thing and wisdom another." Decimus Junius Juvenalis

No comments:

Post a Comment