Friday, April 22, 2011

Stroll thru my backyard - SPRING IS HERE!

Every morning and every evening, I am inspecting the plants. Checking if everyone has exactly what they need and how they are doing.

Grab your coffee and take a stroll with me...

Here are the peas; look, they are starting to bloom.

Peas are great nitrogen fixers. Like all legumes, they will 'feed' the soil.

Of course, they are climbers and the dollarstore had these inexpensive wired arbors, which we got for them.

Amazing, how they use whatever structure they can find and twist their little vines around it to grow up up up to the sun.

This is our wall which separates us from our neighbor and teh peas aid in hiding teh not so pretty adobe.


Next, here are the Brussel Sprouts. Look closely! See the little buttons? These are the actual brussels. They grow next to the leaves right next to the stem. Eventually the leaves will turn yellow and fall off, showing off the gorgeous brussels on the stem.




Now  look at this ...

Lotta munching my salad.

Ah well, I guess we have enough to share with our feathered girls.



Yes, I do have a few solely ornamentals as well. Here is my Amaryllis bulb. I enjoy it's beautiful blooms every year.
The strawberries and blueberries are on the way ...
That's the news for today. Check back in soon...

"Nature never says one thing and wisdom another." Decimus Junius Juvenalis

No comments:

Post a Comment