Monday, February 14, 2011

Recipe - SWEETS FOR YOUR SWEET (Tiramisu - 'Lift me up')

Ingredients:
3 Egg yolks
1/3 cup of powdered sugar - you can use regular sugar but it may feel like eating sand
1 1/3 cup of Mascarpone - tricky to get, Whole Foods is where I get mine
1 pack of lady finger biscuits
2 cups of cold black coffee
couple tablespoons of Amaretto - I believe that is the 'lift me up' part
Cocoa - make sure you get the right dark colored real cocoa, not the sugar infused light brown powder. It simply is not the same without the real cocoa. Your local grocery store is unlikely to carry it, Whole Foods may be a good adress to look for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjNiIvUEtIw

#1 Beat egg yolks and sugar. Gently stir Mascarpone in.
(Variation: Some people add a tad of lemon juice to the cream but I was told real Italians don't. I have tried it but didn't like it with lemon. So, my reco is to stay puristic.)

#2 Mix coffee with Amaretto.

#3 Put half of the biscuits in a dish, soak them with the liquids.

#4 Pour 1/2 of the cream over.

#5 Layer soaked biscuits again and end with cream.

#6 Everything goes in the fridge for a few hours.

#7 Before you serve, sprinkle with cocoa.



"Nature never says one thing and wisdom another." Decimus Junius Juvenalis

1 comment:

  1. 40 years is 480 month's of time. I guess it sound different when it's put that way.

    SEMINARY HILL
    There was a hill top
    where I used to see,
    all of my life's possibilities in front of me.
    Four decades later,
    I returned to see
    that none of it, would ever be.

    The Delaware River meanders gracefully down to the sea by journeying through the magnificently forested hills of The Catskills Mountains first. A lonesome train track follows it's meanderings, also heading south to the sea. I was 14 years old when I first climbed Seminary Hill and saw this splendid sight.

    There was a 30-foot statue of Jesus Christ on a cross high up on Seminary Hill. The image was ghostly against blackening skies, even more so during lightning storms. The Castle-like Seminary was spread out over the level acreage at the bottom of The Hill.

    Below the Seminary, lies the Town Of Callicoon and The Delaware River. I went way out of my way on a sunny day, about 6 or 7 years ago, to return to Seminary Hill, but I never anticipated the subsequent flood of emotions that resulted from looking down that river valley... and all of those years... again.

    Quite accidentally, not long after my return to Seminary Hill, a former seminarian from my class was put in touch with me, and even though we were once very close friends, I couldn't place him when we met again. He had none of the looks, characteristics, or mannerisms of the person that I once knew. He was kind enough to bring me up to date regarding fellow mates and such, but as he talked, I looked into his unfamiliar eyes and felt like I was back up on Seminary Hill, again... searching for the guy that I once knew.

    ReplyDelete